Monday, February 19, 2018




Dearest Family and Friends,

It is with a thankful, enlightened heart that I add a few words to Kalisi's blog today. 

As most of you have undoubtedly heard, Tonga suffered a category 4/5 cyclone last week.  The worst in the history of the island. Cyclone Gita passed directly through where Elder Mafi is serving at this time. 

February 11th/12th (Washington's Sunday, Tonga's Monday) I received a brief message from Kalisi saying he was at the church building where the missionaries were told to take refuge in the hopes that they would be protected. They took nothing except their scriptures from their MQ as they were told to get to the church immediately. He even left his uke.

In response to his message, I asked if he was scared he said, " ...the sea is very angry...I'm right on the sea...I hope I live...I could die, but I think if I follow the Spirit, I won't..."
We joked around a little bit back and forth, mostly because we were worried. Then he dropped off. Neither of us got to say, "I love you."

Much of the night was restless, I played games on my phone to occupy my mind in between sleep and prayers. Intermittently, I would see posts from the Kapps, a Sr. couple serving on Kalisi's Island. For some miraculous reason, they never lost power or internet connection. They documented the storm all through the night as they battled an insurgence of water through their doors and windows.  
(kennybecky.blogspot.com for real videos and post-storm pictures)
I felt in my heart that Kalisi would make it through and be alright. 
The next couple of days were filled with faith. Faith in the Lord and faith in the feelings that I had. Faith in what church leaders were relaying to us from Tonga, all the missionaries were accounted for and safe. But I still hadn't heard directly from Kalisi.

On the 13th Elder Kapp messaged me and said he had a short email from Kalisi (below).

Hey mom what's up?
I'm here at the chapel with the Kapps andI'mm emailing you on his i pad thing. Anyway how are you guys? Hope everything is good. We're here just cleaning up and picking up all the trash, reroofing homes and putting in house walls. But the storm was insane! I have lots to tell you but for now I gotta make it quick cause I gotta let my comp email.
Ofa lahi atu and no need to worry I am ok, haha.
Love you mom and fam



I'm not going to lie, I wept. 
Relief is a powerful emotion. 

Anyone who's stuck with this story so far I want you to know that my faith is strong in the promises of our Heavenly Father. It did cross my mind that I may not see my son again in this life,
when we said goodbye at the Sea-tac airport August 2016 nobody handed me a signed paper that said, "your son will come back to you alive and well." I have always been right with that. When a child goes on a mission, everyone in the family makes sacrifices. For me it's been like laying a piece of my soul on the altar. I smile when I say this, but why didn't anyone tell me it would be so hard? It wasn't even this hard when I was on my own mission. I have been honored to do it, Kalisi is not my possession to hide or keep to myself. 

What I want to convey most of all is this: we all live by faith. Faith that the food we eat will help us maintain energy. Faith that if we go to work we'll make money. Faith that if we give love, we'll get love. Faith that planting seeds in springtime will bring vegetables and berries in the summer. Faith that our lives will be better guided as we read the scriptures. Faith that if we simply do what is right, despite what others may think, it will be worth it.
I boldly testify that like the relief I felt in receiving a tangible, bonafide email from Kalisi, will be the same relief we will feel when we see our Savior Jesus Christ again because He is real.  In that same moment I felt relief about my son, I knew that the faith I strive to live by would come to pass and be a reality as I touch the nail scars in the hands and feet of Christ.  That day will come.  It will come for all of us. 

Kalisi's mission has made me painfully yet wonderfully aware of what I lack. It has been in my spiritual shortcomings that I have grown. I could use some great pottery analogies right here, but I'll let you imagine them for yourselves...haha.

Let us all be thankful. Let us recognize our blessings. Our devoted friends. Our loyal family. Our Heavenly Father who, I declare, in faith, allows us to choose for ourselves what we will become, and who will guide us in all our righteous hopes and desires. 

With Love, Heidi jo
Kalisi and companion after Gita. (Note: Vienna Sausage can haha)


No comments:

Post a Comment