Sunday, December 11, 2016

Malo e lelei famili,
It is actually a very white Christmas here in Tonga. Lots of snow on the trees and Christmas spirit floating around. Just kidding haha but there is ONE house that has lights! 
Here in Tonga, Vava'u, there is not much progress being made, unfortunately, but I am pressing forward. Things are hard, but I know the Lord and your prayers at home are keeping me afloat so thank you all so much. 

 Elder Mafi's little Danish Christmas tree and "mini Mafi Family"
 by Kristie the-peg-doll-queen Bumstead
 (a few of the things he received in his Christmas package).
 Pday
 View in Vava'u
 Elder Mafi's comp (far left), Elder and Elder Mafi
That ONE house that has Christmas lights

Regardless of how tough the work is we are making some progress with a family! They are less active because some of the members weren't very nice so they stopped coming. 
After many visits and family home evenings, TWO OF THEM CAME LAST SUNDAY!!! I was so happy! If we can get the two to keep coming the Lord will provide a way to get them all to come. They also know a little English so I am learning a lot by going over to their house. They teach me, I teach them, it's a nice little back and forth, haha.
One of the things here in Tonga is that you have to eat a lot. It shows respect to the family. So I've learned this cool thing. So you wanna be respectful right...? and no doubt the food is decent like you might even like it? But you're full... You've eaten too much chicken, had your fair share of boiled leaves, but there's this heaping pile of food left on your plate...what do you do? You think and think and you're like, well I didn't wanna do this, but looks like you gotta umaki that sucka, hahaha. Umaki, for those who don't know, is an ancient art passed down from generation to generation, of...drinking and eating at the same time, haha. Take a bit, drink, eat, repeat! that's how I make it through most of my fafangas (dinner appointments). I know, I'm not proud but hey, the fam needs their blessings.
Love all of you guys a lot. Thank you for your pictures and your letters and packages and prayers, you're really helpin' a "brutha out." (I mean Elder, haha)
Ofa Atu!
Elder Mafi

No comments:

Post a Comment